__ >> Teaching
On the Web
schools offer a number of instructional tools or a comprehensive courseware
package that can be used in the service of teaching. Much of the information
at CompSite can be adapted to assist you in developing assignments and honing
the computer-assisted teaching skills needed to successfully incorporate instructional
tools into teaching. If you or your university seek to collect information about
or expand the instructional tool options available to you, try investigating
the resources below.
Clearinghouse and Information Sites
- This site provides a nice clearinghouse with links to a
number of review sites and instructional tool options.
Software on the Web
- A nice fairly comprehensive index site providing information
about the latest developments in instructional tools and a number of useful
Educational Delivery Applications
- Another valuable index site offering comparisons and links
to instructional tool resources.
Instructional Tools Available on the Web
- This site offers free hosting of email discussion lists.
You can easily set up an email list to help to facilitate class communication.
- Developed by the Computer Writing and Research Labs, this
set provides a number of valuable Web-based instructional tools created with
Perl scripts that can be set up easily on most Web servers. Freely available
for nonprofit use.
- The SITES
Instructional Tool Set
- A prototype set of instructional tools designed for writing
classes created with Perl scripts and HTML files that can be set up on most
Web servers. Freely available for nonprofit use.
- Speakeasy Studio
- An instructional package that provides text sharing and
communication options for classes. The source code is available for free and
the site will provide free host services to educational institutions and instructors.
- A package providing a comprehensive set or instructional
tools for free. Currently versions run on a PowerPC Macintosh server.
- A comprehensive set of instructional tools. This package
can be downloaded and set up for use on your own server at no charge or instructors
can receive free hosting at the SyllaBase Web site.
- Web Course in a Box
- A comprehensive package that includes class management as
well as communications features. You can download the package for use on your
own server, or rely on hosting. Both options, however, are not free.
- Another comprehensive package of course management and instructional
tools. WebCT also offers their package for downloading or hosting services.
For either option, fees are required.
- This package also provides a full set of management and
instructional tools. LearningSpace is a commercial package that requires a
- Although Blackboard offers free hosting of class spaces
via their Web site, their more sophisticated instructional tools are available
as commercial packages.